Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Factory-Stock, Street Legal, 200 MPH

All prices given: approximate guesses. Most prices out there in the world: negotiable.

Aston Martin Rapide S, around 200 grand; Vanquish, $280,000 and up, and V12 Vantage S, around 185 thousand Simolians.

Bentley Continental GT /GTC Speed, $195,000.

Cadillac CTS-V. $70,000.

Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat. $65,000

Ferrari 458 Italia/Speciale, $233,000 and up; F12 Berlinetta, $318,000 and up; FF, $295,000 and up; and LaFerrari, $1,416,000 and up.

Lamborghini Aventador, $395,000 and up; and Huracan, $235,000 and up.

McLaren 650S Coupe/Spider, $267,000; and P1, $1,150,000.

Porsche 918 Spyder, $845,000 and up.

SRT Viper, 85 large and up.

That's all stuff you can get new today -- or at least you can order it today. I don't know what your local dealers have sitting around in their lots waiting for you to pay and drive it away. Wait, wait, you're yelling -- where's Bugatti?!!! As far as I know, the Bugatti Veyron is the only stock street car which has topped 250 mph. My apologies if I'm wrong, but I think the cars listed above all kinda just barely top 200. That's why I didn't bother to list the top speed for each one. The Veyron is not on the list above because Bugatti is done building the Veyron, and I would guess that Veyrons tend to sell out years before they're actually built, but apparently Bugatti have something else on the way which is even more insane. The list above also does not include vehicles from specialty manufacturers. Where do you draw the line between the "regular" manufacturers and the specialty carmakers? That's a good question, and the answer, as far as I can tell, is subjective, and I make no claim that my list is exhaustive or authoritative or even particularly good.

When we turn from factory-stock street-legal 200 mph cars to factory-stock street-legal 200 mph motorcycles, apparently there are none. If I'm not mistaken, around 2000 the makers of the fastest street bikes voluntarily agreed to limit their bikes to around 300 kilometers per hour, which is just a little over 186 miles per hour, and although it seems that there have been some minor departures from this voluntary arrangement, I still don't know of any completely factory-stock street legal 2-wheeled beast which has topped the big bad TWO OH OH. So if you're out there on the public roads on a bike doing over 200 mph, 1) STOP READING THIS POST THIS INSTANT AND KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!!!, and 2) I think someone must've hot-rodded your bike, or at least removed the speed limiter. (I have no idea how speed limiters work.) Or there are some stone-stock street bikes out there which are faster than any I know about. That's certainly possible. I don't actually know a whole lot about motorized vehicles.

The Wrong Monkey does not condone or encourage people to drive or ride on public roads at over 200 mph.

Ducati Monster 1200 S, around $16,000. I can't believe you can get this thing for so little money. Seems like little money to me, but again, I don't know squat about such things. I'm not sure if this is the fastest factory-stock street bike going these days. It'll do a standing 1/4 mile in under 10.35 seconds, but I think that at least 1 street bike will do it in under 10 flat. So, I'm not mentioning it because it's the fastest bike, but because to me it's the coolest thing on wheels, 2, 4, 18 or what have you. With those speed limiters, I imagine there are a lot of bikes more or less tied for 1st place in top speed. I also imagine that the Monster 1200 S has got to be one of the fastest without a fairing. (Can you imagine going 180 mph without a fairing?) I think this thing is just beautiful:


No comments:

Post a Comment